Some estimates suggest online shopping is expected to grow 20% each year. More and more customers are purchasing online with estimates that 7.5% of all retail sales are made online. If you are a small business owner, how can you sell your product online, even when you are sleeping?
Whether you choose one over the other depends on which choice will suit your individual business the best. The price can vary depending on number of transactions depending on the website you choose.There are a many places where you can open up your online store. I will talk about 4 of them here: Shopify, Volusion, Etsy, and Ebay.
Shopify – http://www.shopify.com
- Basic costs $29 a month and ranges to $179 a month for an unlimited package.
2.9% -2.25% + .30 online to 2.7%-2.15% swipe to + $.30
- It features to help focus marketing campaigns on your target market
- Flexible options to help grow your business.
- Receive your own blog on your website
- There are many additions that cost extra
Volusion – http://www.volusion.com
- 5 plans ranging from $15 – $195 a month.
- Competitive monthly fees.
- No transactions fees.
- 120 free templates
- Plan includes a mobile and Facebook store
- Hidden bandwith fees. If your store receives a lot of traffic, you have to consider the bandwith fee.
Etsy – http://www.etsy.com
- Each listing on Etsy costs $ .20, but is only charged when the item is sold. Once the item is sold, there is a transaction fee of 3.5% of the item price. Remember to add shipping
- It’s user friendly
- Community of buyers who support small businesses
- There are many shops on Etsy
- They all look similar
- Hard to brand on Etsy
- Fees grow with your business.
Ebay – http://www.ebay.com
Fees can range from basic at $15.95 monthly based on a yearly contract up to Anchor at $179.95 per month * Paypal fees are in addition to these fees as well as shipping.
- Once you’ve got a customer in the door (virtual), you ‘ve got a chance to repeat business through excellent service.
Infrastructure ( The website is set up to make the company money)
Keeping on top of your inventory (Indication of number of sales can be repeated and get confusing for the owner)
It is really important for you to do your due diligence. I’ve included the website addresses. It is very important that you know the number of potential transaction in order to make the best decision of which online store works best for you and your customer.